The results of #operationveggiepatch

Back in February I wrote a post about the veggie patch that we put together. Today the boys and I did some work on it. We tamed our tomato plants by tying them to stakes, and discovered that we’ve got some fruit developing! It’s nice to see that we’ve managed to get something out of the veggie patch. The rocket has been a success, but the cucumber plants ended up rotting and dying. The capsicums are still going, but I don’t know if we’re going to get any fruit off them.

Our first tomato

Our first tomato

The other crop we planted was carrots, and we managed to keep one plant growing. Today was harvest day, so Tom carefully pulled it out of the ground. The carrot was about 5cm long and a bit skinny and knobbly, but it tasted OK.

Our carrot

Our carrot

Hopefully the stakes will keep the tomato plants happy, and we’ll get a nice crop out of them. There are a few tiny fruit starting to develop, so we’ll keep an eye on them and try and harvest them before the bugs or the birds find them.

Our second job for the morning was to fill our new compost bin. We received this for free from our council as part of a composting and worm farming workshop which I attended a couple of weeks ago. I’d been meaning to buy one, so it was a nice bonus to get one for free. The boys helped me fill it with some sticks and green leaves.

Filling the compost bin

Filling the compost bin

It’s in a fairly sunny spot in the garden, so hopefully it will get warm enough to get the bugs and microbes working. Now all we need to do is remember to add our veggie scraps to it. I’m looking forward to having some home-made compost to use around the garden in a couple of months time.