#operationeveggiepatch one year on

A year ago I posted about our efforts to get a vegetable patch going. On the whole it was pretty successful. The cherry tomato plants flourished, and gave us a tasty series of crops over the year. They reached the stage where they weren’t really very productive, however, so a couple of weeks ago I pulled them out of the veggie patch. There’s still some rocket in there, and I’m pretty sure we’ll be planting something else in there when the weather warms up a bit.

The capsicums were a failure, and didn’t grow at all. We planted some seeds in another part of the garden, and they didn’t like that spot either. I guess we’re destined to not grow them.

The other crop we tried planting was sweet corn. We’ve had mixed results with it, though. The first batch of plants gave us some nice cobs, but the second batch is looking a bit underdone. I probably didn’t give them the attention they needed, but we’ve still got some seeds we can plant to try again.

Corn plantsCorn harvestReady to cook

The other part of #operationveggiepatch I mentioned was our compost bin. This hasn’t really worked out at all over the last year. Again, I’ve neglected it too much, and haven’t spent enough time on mixing it and making sure that I’ve been adding the right mix of material to it. I think it might be time to empty it out and start again, or least try and use some of the “compost”. Part of the problem might be the lack of space that we’ve got, which means that it’s hard for me to take out the older material. Maybe we need another bin, so we can have a “fresh bin” and an “older bin”. Hopefully I can get this sort out soon.

I do enjoy gardening, and trying to grow some of our own vegies. The boys enjoy it too, and hopefully we can come up with another bumper crop this year.

The results of #operationveggiepatch

Back in February I wrote a post about the veggie patch that we put together. Today the boys and I did some work on it. We tamed our tomato plants by tying them to stakes, and discovered that we’ve got some fruit developing! It’s nice to see that we’ve managed to get something out of the veggie patch. The rocket has been a success, but the cucumber plants ended up rotting and dying. The capsicums are still going, but I don’t know if we’re going to get any fruit off them.

Our first tomato

Our first tomato

The other crop we planted was carrots, and we managed to keep one plant growing. Today was harvest day, so Tom carefully pulled it out of the ground. The carrot was about 5cm long and a bit skinny and knobbly, but it tasted OK.

Our carrot

Our carrot

Hopefully the stakes will keep the tomato plants happy, and we’ll get a nice crop out of them. There are a few tiny fruit starting to develop, so we’ll keep an eye on them and try and harvest them before the bugs or the birds find them.

Our second job for the morning was to fill our new compost bin. We received this for free from our council as part of a composting and worm farming workshop which I attended a couple of weeks ago. I’d been meaning to buy one, so it was a nice bonus to get one for free. The boys helped me fill it with some sticks and green leaves.

Filling the compost bin

Filling the compost bin

It’s in a fairly sunny spot in the garden, so hopefully it will get warm enough to get the bugs and microbes working. Now all we need to do is remember to add our veggie scraps to it. I’m looking forward to having some home-made compost to use around the garden in a couple of months time.